Porter Airlines has announced a new status match campaign for WestJet Rewards members. Those with existing status with WestJet Rewards are entitled to match with an equivalent tier with Porter’s VIPorter loyalty program.
The campaign comes as WestJet reduces its flights in Eastern Canada, while Porter, in turn, has been beefing up its operations in the region.
As you may recall, Porter recently launched routes out of Toronto Pearson International Airport (YYZ), complementing flights out of its main hub, Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport (YTZ).
VIPorter Status Match with WestJet Rewards
Depending on your current status with WestJet Rewards, you can status match to a corresponding tier with VIPorter. This will allow you to receive the benefits of the matched tier for 120 days, with the ability to extend your status within that timeframe.
The equivalent status tiers are broken down as follows:
- VIPorter Venture will be awarded to anyone with proof of WestJet Rewards Silver status.
- VIPorter Ascent will be awarded to anyone with proof of WestJet Rewards Gold status.
- VIPorter First will be awarded to anyone with proof of WestJet Rewards Platinum status.
If you already hold status with WestJet Rewards and plan on flying with Porter Airlines this spring or over the summer, don’t miss the opportunity to score a higher tier of status and some extra benefits along your travels.
To take advantage of the status match, you must:
- Sign up for a VIPorter account if you haven’t already.
- Send an email to email@example.com with your VIPorter account number and a screenshot of your WestJet Rewards details that must clearly indicate your name, tier, and expiry date.
- Wait up to three weeks for approval.
Be sure to send your application in by the deadline on May 31, 2023.
(Note that WestJet Rewards themselves are also putting on a status match promotion through April 30 from Air Canada and Porter, so you could potentially match your Aeroplan Elite Status to WestJet Rewards, and then onwards to VIPorter!)
Extend Your VIPorter Status
Once your status match has been approved, you have a 120-day period to work towards extending it until December 31, 2024.
To renew your tier, you must earn:
- $750 (CAD) in qualifying spend to extend VIPorter Venture
- $1,500 (CAD) in qualifying spend to extend VIPorter Ascent
- $2,500 (CAD) in qualifying spend to extend VIPorter First
Note that the qualifying spend needed to extend your status is 75% less than the usual requirement, making this promotion a relatively easy way to earn and maintain status on Porter Airlines through 2024.
What Are the Benefits of VIPorter Status?
Porter Airlines is a low-cost carrier with no business class cabin, even on their new Embraer jets. Therefore, VIPorter status may not be useful as holding elite status with, say, Air Canada’s Aeroplan, but it still does have its perks, especially for commuters who fly with them often.
The benefits of VIPorter status include the following:
- Earning VIPorter points per dollar spent on Porter flights (6x points for Venture, 7x points for Ascent and First)
- Free carry-on bag
- Free checked bags (one for Venture, two for Ascent and First)
- Free seat selection (including Stretch seats for Ascent and First)
- Priority check-in, security, boarding, and standby
- Dedicated call center service
- PorterReserve upgrade certificates upon reaching spend thresholds
- Free same-day changes (Ascent and First only)
Again, you’d stand to benefit the most if you commute or travel frequently with Porter through its base at Toronto Billy Bishop Airport.
However, even if you only plan to fly with Porter occasionally, you’d still get to save money on complimentary seat selection, carry-on, and checked bags – all of which Porter, as a low-cost carrier, would otherwise charge extra for.
As WestJet abandons some of its routes in the region, folks living in Eastern Canada should definitely look into giving Porter a try, especially given its generally stronger reputation than other Canadian low-cost airlines.
Porter Airlines is offering a status match opportunity for WestJet Rewards members to match their status with VIPorter. For a 120-day period, you can take advantage of its status benefits, and you can also work towards extending your status through 2024.
VIPorter perks include free seat selection, carry-on, and checked bags, which Porter normally charges for as a low-cost carrier. Plus, you’ll also get priority check-in, security, boarding, and standby.
If you have upcoming flights with Porter this spring or summer and hold WestJet Rewards status (or can status match to it), be sure to send in your application by the deadline on May 30, 2023.
Prince of Travel Signature Event, Vancouver 2023
Step up your travel game with a full day of discussion panels and presentations, a catered lunch and drinks, networking, prizes, and an exclusive VIP Experience!
Get Your Tickets Now
Appeared first on: princeoftravel.com